Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week Ten: Wine Tasting

For this weeks P-52 night we went to a wine tasting class through IPFW. I found the class in their continuing ed catalog. It was titled "So You Like Sweet Wines, Now What?". This seemed right up my alley. Dan and I did some wine tasting back before we were married. We would go out to Virginia to visit Dan's Dad and visit some of the local wineries out there. I have such fond memories of those times and was wondering how this would compare to those tasting experiences. This of course was a "class" as well as a tasting, so I really didn't know what to expect going into it. But it sounded like something different and fun!

The class was at an art gallery downtown and was put on by a couple that used to write wine reviews for the Journal Gazette. There were about 20 people in the class and it was a very mixed bag of people. The couple putting on the class were great though. They both had a great sense of humor and were very approachable. We tasted 6 different wines (1 oz pours) and they ranged from sweet and carbonated to dry and red. I of course liked the sweet ones best... and as expected, Dan liked the dry red ones better. I think the class actually exceeded my expectations and really brought back so many of those fond memories of wine tasting back early on in our relationship.

After the class we decided to go next door to JK O'Donolleys for some munchies and some more alcohol (wine for me and beer for Dan). Neither of us had been to JKO's, but we've both been wanting to check it out. Again, it exceeded my expectations. It was fun trying out some of the Irish fare and talking about our thoughts on the wine class. We both agreed that we need to start opening some of those bottles that we picked up at the wineries years ago and just try to start having a glass of wine at dinner more often! I look forward to the next time we are able to go to a winery together again for some more wine tasting. I'm hoping that maybe at some point we can take the kids along for a little day trip with a picnic at the winery.

Overall I would say that this date night was one of my favorites so far. We had a fun activity that allowed us to interact and share our opinions and experiences with each other and also gave us a lot to talk about over drinks and food after!

1 comment:

  1. We do need to break open our wine. I completely forgot about that last week!

    ReplyDelete