Thursday, April 12, 2012

Week Fifteen: Nature Walk

A lot of times, I start out with a grand idea and then as it rolls around in my head for a few weeks, it gets watered down to a more realistic event, like this one did. At first, I was thinking how cool it could be to strap a pair of backpacks on and hike up a mountain, set down for camping and have only what we could carry on our backs for the night.

This imagined scene is probably due to to many movies, books and survival shows, plus some seed of adventure inside of me. The logistics were just not there to make this a reality. For one, there are no mountains in Indiana!

So, my planned date changed to doing a nature walk at a local nature preserve, something like an hour and a half to two hours, as we try to keep all of these events inside a four hour window. Unfortunately, but luckily, I checked the hours of the nature preserve earlier in the day. It closed at 6pm and my mom wasn't coming over to babysit until 6:30.

Plan B ensued. In Fort Wayne, we have a ton of nice bike trails and there was one nearby. A few years back we rollerbladed part of it, but found it wasn't finished and didn't connect all the way to the downtown trail. So, I was curious to see if it was finished and thought it would be a nice walk. Granted, the trail was paved, but it would work.

We parked at a trail head, set my alarm for 45 minutes and we were off. The weather was a bit chilly, but as we walked, it didn't feel bad at all. I would venture to say it was a perfect evening for a walk. We got passed the part that the trail ended last time and got just over two and a half miles. At that point, we turned around and walked back.

It was fun to get out and be active, plus we basically talked the entire way, which was nice. By the time we got back to the trailhead, we were both a little tired (but in a good way).

Since it was 8:30pm and we hadn't eaten dinner, we drove into a neighboring town and had dinner at a restaurant neither of us had ever been before (but I had heard was pretty good). And it was. We ate, drank, talked, relaxed and then called it a night and went home.

Things I Learned:
  • Locking in a babysitter early makes planning so much easier.

  • Even the most mundane of activities can be fun and fulfilling.

  • Pairing exercise with an activity works out quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment