Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Week Eight: Boom Blox

The past few weeks have felt really crazy busy to me and I wasn't really looking forward to planning and going out another night, so I decided to plan a laid back date night at home. I don't remember what reminded me about all the fun we used to have playing Boom Blox on the Wii when we first got it... but I figured this was the perfect time to try it again!

Unfortunately it didn't end up being as fun as what I was hoping! We started off playing cooperatively which I thought would be nice to play with each other instead of against each other for a date. But it didn't go as well as I had expected. I've always felt that Dan and I made a great team when we work together. We tend to compliment each others skills and talents. But on this night we didn't seem to be on the same page at all. I felt like it was pulling nails to get Dan to discuss a strategy or let me know what he was planning to do on each level.

So before long Dan said to switch over to the competitive mode which we did for the rest of the night. It was enjoyable enough, but I didn't feel like it was much of a bonding experience and was pretty bummed to see us yet again struggling with communication!

In hind sight I think we could have had more fun if I would have set the mood a bit ahead of time. I should have picked up some snacks and maybe some wine or something, as well as verbalizing my expectation before we got started. When we started doing these date nights I had a tendency to keep each week's plans a secret, but now I'm starting to think that it is nice to know ahead of time what we are going to do... both from the planning side and the "along for the ride" side. I guess I just like to know what to set my expectation for.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I didn't really go into the night thinking it was going to be the two of us strategizing each level, but more of a, let's have fun and just play. Part of the fun of Boom Blox, is making mistakes and laughing about them.

    So, while I agree I didn't communicate much of what I was going to to or what I though was the best approach to some of the levels, I still had a good time. I really wasn't in the mood to talk about each level and was more of just, jump in and pull some blocks and figure it out as we played.

    I agree, it probably would have been better if we set the mood and expectations before playing.

    ReplyDelete